Why We Go, and How You Can Help
One week from today, a group of 20 Imana Kids board members, sponsors, and supporters will be en route to Kigali! After weeks of packing and planning, our team is well prepared for crafts, games, music, and fun. And, of course, we go bearing gifts from our Imana Kids’ sponsors!
Why We Go
We could easily fill our nine days in Rwanda building, painting, cleaning, and doing. But that’s not why we’re going. Our partner agency, Visiting Orphans, says it best:
“Our trips are about ‘being’ rather than ‘doing,’ although we certainly want to help where we can. We believe the best place to start is in relationships with one another.”
Relationships. Love. These are the agents of change. “Love one child, change the world” is more than our slogan – it’s an action plan.
Through loving relationships we:
~ Build dignity
~ Affirm worth
~ Encourage growth
~ Change lives
How You Can Help
We’ve gathered our team and collected supplies, but we still need your help. This relationship-building work we’re doing, it won’t be easy. Our bodies, minds, and spirits – and those of our Imana Kids – will face obstacles. Will you pray with us to clear the path and prepare the ground for God’s work?
If you would like to pray Scripture, here are some suggestions:
- For the children: Zephaniah 3:17; Isaiah 58:11
- For the team: John 17:23; Ephesians 4:1-3
In addition, please pray:
- For the name of Jesus to be spoken, heard, embraced, and glorified wherever we go.
- For protection over our travels, and over the family members we leave behind.
- For physical, emotional, and spiritual stamina throughout our journey.
- For unity and grace among our team members.
- For humility and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- For James, our staff in Rwanda, who just lost his father. James tirelessly pours himself out for our kids, and we are eager to support and encourage him.
- For fertile ground in our hearts and the hearts of the children.
- For openness to God’s leading, both in-country and after our return. Imana Kids was born through last year’s Visiting Orphans trip to Kimisagara. Who knows what He might call our team to next?
Our goal is to stay connected with you during our time in Rwanda. We’ve invited team members to share their experiences here on the blog each day, so stay tuned for updates and guest posts!
Thank you for supporting us in this mission. We thank God for each of you!
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.